In last night’s post I mentioned that Bron was cooking up a storm for dinner. She told me she used every plate in the cupboard to do this and truly it was one of the best home made meals I’ve ever eaten. Bron has been experimenting with Mexican cuisine a little lately and for dinner we had a Mexican theme.
For starters Bron made some home made corn chips using tortillas
Home made corn chips
These were amazing with sour cream and some of David Lebovitz’s http://davidlebovitz.com guacamole
As part of the main course Bron prepared some corn fritters. I’ve always loved corn or zucchini fritters. They are just fried loveliness.
Nothing like the sizzle of fritters
Gratuitous video of corn fritter frying
Alongside the corn fritters the Pièce de résistance was a pulled pork stuffed avocado coated with egg and fried
Served with David Lebovitz’s guacamole and sour cream
There was some pulled pork left over so I finished it off with some sour cream and guacamole
Left over pulled pork
This was so yummy
For dessert Bron made a caramelised white chocolate and lemon curd with double cream tart
Dessert was eaten as we watched Game of Thrones Series 3 episodes 2 and 3
After a good sleep Bron made breakfast
Poached egg and marmalade on toast
Nothing like a good breakfast
Cracking open the egg revealed a perfect runny yolk
A yellow runny water fall of happiness
For lunch we’d booked a table at one of our favourite restaurants in Canberra, viz., The Dumpling Inn. We hadn’t eaten Yum Cha for what seemed like an age.
Yum Cha is one of life’s joys. A meal of guaranteed happiness.
Char siu pork
I love walking past Chinese restaurants and seeing char siu pork and roast ducks hanging in the windows. I love finely slice char siu pork with noodle soups.
Steamed pork ribs
This was nice but a little grissly
Rock salt chilli chicken drumettes
The flavours were amazing with this dish and very similar to their rock salt calamari. The chicken was so tender it was fall off the bone good.
Sticky rice and pork dumplings
This is similar to a sweet dish my grandfather’s brother Les used to make with coconut and sugar
Char siu boa (one of my favourite foods)
On a cold night, a few of these make a remarkably good snack
Every culture has a wrap :-) Peking duck pancakes
Pure happiness in a wrap
Steamed pork dim sim
These were very nice with hot chilli sauce
Crispy skin roast duck
Mmm…crispy skin duck. What more can you say?
I really liked Bron’s Portuguese custard tarts, these were good too
We left The Dumpling Inn feeling very satisfied. I’ll let you in on a secret. Before I walked in I loosened my belt a notch to avoid any in-restaurant embarrassment :-)
So it’s been an amazing weekend in food. What we really need next weekend is an amazing weekend in exercise. I hope you all have a good week ahead.
- Lunch at Ricardo’s Cafe | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- 100 – Random9 Art exhibition | Black Pepper | Oblivion | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- Rockpool on George | #ManFlu | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- Sanur’s | Max Brenner | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- Wraps as a theme | Shout out @hilahcooking | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- My week in Instagram | Different foods | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- Pho Viet Review 2 | The Aldi Expressi Coffee Machine | Back with Bron | My week in Instagram (garydavidlum.com)
- My Easter | #ManFlu | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)
- RECIPE: Home-made chinese pork dumplings (foodographer.net)
- 2 Yummy in Belconnen | Not 2 Yummy for Lummy Yummy | Laksa and Duck | #bestblogs13 (garydavidlum.com)