I was reading 8 easy ideas when you’ve lost the will to cook on Keeping up with the Holsbys and noted number 6 was fish fingers.
It sent me back to my young adult life at university and my fourth year in medical school. In my group of six, we were fortunate that one person had a share house in Herston (see map below) and we’d go to her place (Hetherington Street) a few days every week and eat lunch. Herston is the suburb where you’ll find what was then the Royal Brisbane Hospital and University of Queensland School of Medicine. One of our favourite lunches was a fried fish finger sandwich. It consisted of three fried fish fingers (three is the width of a piece of bread and a cheese slice) some tasty Coon cheese slices between two pieces of bread which was then fried. Absolutely delicious.
I miss those days. On some days when we had clinical sessions in another hospital, some friends who were living in a UQ residential college would bring a packed lunch. I would sometimes break into their bag and grab their neatly wrapped sandwiches which were always cut in half. I’d take one neat bite out of one side and then rewrap it and put it back in their bag.
Some readers may be aware that on Monday evenings I eat salmon and on most Tuesday evenings I eat chicken. A twitter friend, viz., @kateisgreatok (I recommend following Kate, she’s queen of subtweeting, is a Star Trek aficionado and she’s also a champion crotchet artist) asked what is my Wednesday meal. I said I didn’t have one but this Wednesday I was going to do something I hadn’t done for a long time. Kate suggested Retrospective Wednesday.
So tonight I’ve gone back in time and made a favourite lunch but with a twist or two.
- Fish fingers. We used to buy the home brand ones because you could get a gazillion really cheaply. Now I have a job so I splashed out and buy BIRDS EYE™
- Tasty Coon cheese slices. We all love eating Coon.
- Cos lettuce because now I’m a grown up
- Tomato because now I’m a grown up
- Avocado because now I’m a grown up
- Butter because I’m bad
- Oven bake the fish fingers. Yes you read correctly, I oven baked these rather than shallow frying them. Growing up sucks.
- Spread butter and avocado on the slices of bread and toast the outside after removing the fish from the bench top oven. Yeah, don’t criticise the butter, I nearly added some bacon too.
- Lay out the fish fingers on the base slice of buttered and avocado spread toasted bread.
- Add slices of cheese
- Grill the cheese until it’s melted
- On the other slice of buttered and avocado spread toasted bread add the lettuce and tomato
- Put it all together to shoot a fancy photograph (with Sony α7S)
- Really put it together and cut in half and shoot another photograph (with Nikon D7100)
- Eat this bad boy
- Clean the dishes
- Write the recipe
- Write the blog post
PPS I’ve been toying with mixing it up and trying Salmon Sunday and Meatless Monday. What do you think?
If you have any comments or questions please send me a comment in the space below.
Disclaimer and a note on mass and energy
I have no culinary training nor qualifications. This post is not intended to convey any health or medical advice. If you have any health concerns about anything you read, please contact your registered medical practitioner.
For recipe posts the quantities are indicative. Feel free to vary the quantities to suit your taste.
I deliberately do not calculate energy for dishes. I deliberately default to 500 Calories or 500,000 calories because I do not make these calculations.