I love pomegranate seeds in meals and tonight was the first time I’ve cut one open and used the seeds in a meal and dessert.
I bought a Lilydale chicken yesterday and thought it would go nicely with a salad. After a light breakfast and lunch a roast dinner was in order, especially with My Kitchen Rules on television tonight. Tonight Ash and Camilla are cooking and so many people want to see them fail.
For breakfast I met Bron at U&Co Cafe in Kaleen
I had muesli with seasonal fruits
For lunch I had tomato on fried bread smeared with Persian feta
- Lilydale Chicken for roasting
- Panko bread crumbs
- Crushed walnuts
- Chili flakes
- Potato gems
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- Prepare the chicken with panko bread crumbs, crushed walnuts and chili flakes
- Add the quinoa to the baking tray and add some water, this allows the quinoa to cook in the chicken juices
- Put the chicken into the oven at 220 °C for 20 minutes and then turn down to 150 °C for 40 minutes
- For the last 20 minutes add the potato gems on a separate tray
- When the chicken comes out to rest turn the oven up to 220 °C and cook the gems until golden
- Scoop the quinoa out of the tray with a slotted spoon and allow the fatty oily goodness to drain off leaving great tasting quinoa behind
- Prepare the salad with the fennel, parsley, red onion, capers and pomegranate seeds
- Add a little lime juice to the salad
- Plate up the carved chicken, quinoa, potato gems and salad
- Shoot a final photograph
- Eat the meal while watching My Kitchen Rules
- Wash the dishes
- Write the recipe
- Blog (verb)
How to deseed a pomegranate
Although I didn’t use a wooden spoon. I’m Chinese so I used the back of dirty big meat cleaver
How I cooked tea tonight
I’m not sure if Lilydale is sponsoring MKR this year.
This is how it looked straight out of the plastic bag
I added some of my own touches like panko bread crumbs, crushed walnuts and chili flakes
What a gorgeous looking salad
I love my new carving board
My finished plate
Do you like pomegranate and the seeds from this delicious fruit? Have you got a favourite recipe? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
Disclaimer and a note on mass and energy
I have no culinary training nor qualifications. This post is not intended to convey any health or medical advice. If you have any health concerns about anything you read, please contact your registered medical practitioner.
For recipe posts the quantities are indicative. Feel free to vary the quantities to suit your taste.
I deliberately do not calculate energy for dishes. I deliberately default to 500 Calories or 500,000 calories because I do not make these calculations.