Regular readers know I watch Heston Blumenthal videos for cooking tips. I’ve also been boiling eggs for many years so how could I fail boiling a soft boiled egg?
Well I was watching the Heston Blumenthal episode on eggs. He mentioned a foolproof method of producing a soft boiled egg with luscious oozy yolk. I watched this on the #CanberraDay long weekend and went to make them but I couldn’t find egg cups. So yesterday after work I bought new egg cups in anticipation that this morning I’d have lovely soft boiled eggs.
There is also a description on the SBS site.
So the mistakes I made are:
- My smallest saucepan with a lid isn’t small enough
- My induction hot plate is just too slow to bring the water rapidly to 100 °C and not helped with the not so small saucepan
So I have some potential solutions:
- Buy a smaller saucepan and experiment
- Experiment with shorter cooking time
- Use a small portable gas hotplate that I have
- Experiment a lot and cook lots of eggs
This is what I ended up with.
I was so disappointed I had to have second breakfast
Caramel tart topped with Queensland nuts (Genus Macadamia) from the Urban Bean Espresso Bar in Phillip. A delicious breakfast
Today’s lunch was nice and colourful
So tonight while watching #MKR I had #breakfastfordinner
I think this weekend I’ll look for a smaller saucepan with a lid and use my gas hotplate.