Well we have four days off for Easter and I’m still feeling crook. I thought I’d feel better if I spent some time cooking. Tonight I made slowly roasted beef with vegetables.
I should start at the beginning. I woke up feeling worse than the previous few days mainly because I coughed all night and just felt stupidly tired. Given it’s the beginning of a four day long weekend I thought I should make an effort for breakfast so I cooked bacon and eggs with toast.
After breakfast I went back to bed and dozed for a bit. I stayed there until about midday and figured I should get out, shower shave and think about what to do for the day.
I had a blade roast in the refrigerator and thought a slowly roasted beef recipe was in order.
I also had some beef bones and thought the fatty juicy goodness from them would make a good cooking soup for the blade roast. So I started by cooking them and ate the fatty meat for lunch while reserving the juices for the roast.
Given the protein and fat load I needed something sweet for afternoon tea so I ended up having a teaspoon of Nutella and a teaspoon of crunchy peanut paste.
- 1.5 kg beef bones
- 1.5 kg blade roast
- Bay leaves
- Red wine
- In a casserole place the beef bones and cook in a slow oven (150 °C) for 2 hours
- Remove the cooked bones and keep to eat for lunch
- In the bottom of the casserole with the beef bone juices add some carrot, onion and celery
- Add 1 cup of red wine
- Add ½ cup water
- Place the blade roast in the middle on top of the vegetables
- Add a couple of potatoes and some bay leaves
- Cover the casserole and put into the oven at 150 °C for 3 hours
- Remove the casserole and take out the meat to rest for 30 minutes
- Prepare a plate with the vegetables and slice some of the beef
- Pour over a little of the fatty juices from the casserole instead of beef gravy
- If you have Hollandaise you could serve that too
- Shoot a photograph
- Eat the meal
- Wash the dishes
- Write the recipe
- Blog (verb)
If you want to see a larger version click on one of the photographs and a gallery will pop up for you to review.