Tonight Bron and I had a plan. There was still food in the refrigerator and ideas born during Christmas feasting.
For the main course we had ham and cheese tarts with a pear and walnut salad. On Christmas day we had fig and goat cheese tarts. Bron’s sister Lou gave me some cheese for Christmas including some lovely Spanish goat cheese. There was also another firm cheese which we couldn’t identify which was friable like the goat cheese and just as flavoursome. Instead of figs we used apple to sweeten the saltiness created by the ham and cheese.
On Christmas eve and Christmas day we had a pear and walnut salad with Gorgonzola cheese. The cheese added so my to the flavour.
Out of the oven these little beauties were puffed right up, they looked like soufflés.
The salad is so good. It’s almost on a par with Caesar salad as my favourite.
Bron had some egg whites in the refrigerator after needing egg yolks for custard on Christmas day. She made her first ever pavlova. No matter what anyone from across the Tasman sea says, this is an Aussie invention. I love pavlova. I recall many happy times as a kid when Mum would make a pav for a special dinner and then my brothers and I would eat what was left for breakfast the next day.
I got to whip the cream. I love whipped cream.
The passionfruit pulp was a little tart which was a nice contrast to the sweetness of the pav.
We added more whipped cream and some strawberry coulis to the plate.
This was a great meal. Thanks @bron
- Christmas lunch, awesome food (garydavidlum.com)
- The most awesome Christmas eve dinner (garydavidlum.com)
- 2011 Countdown: Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken…. (rollinoatstampa.com)
- Oven-Roasted Tomatoes With Goat Cheese (cookingislife.wordpress.com)
- A really great tweet up (garydavidlum.com)
- Goat’s Milk Cheese with Blueberry and Cinnamon by Celebrity International (canadacheeseman.wordpress.com)
- Holiday Cheese Board #7 – Get Your Goat (marcellathecheesemonger.com)
- Candied Walnut Salad – Hizzah! A salad that doesn’t suck (foodsqueeze.wordpress.com)
- Balsamic-rosemary mushroom and goat cheese sandwich (dishinaboutnutrition.wordpress.com)
- The Lesson of the Leftovers: A Reading for Christmas Week (blarneycrone.wordpress.com)
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms (domestikating.wordpress.com)