Okay so I’m Chinese so you might expect I’m good or at least okay with cooking rice. Well I regularly overcook or undercook rice. Because I live alone I see no point in buying a rice cooker. I often play around with microwave settings or cook rice in a saucepan on the stovetop. On the weekend while I was grocery shopping I found Coles microwave quinoa rice for $2 a packet. The packets contain 2 serves so that’s $1 for a serve of rice and quinoa. Bargain! In 90 seconds I have cooked quinoa rice or chia seed rice.
I had the worst Mondayitis today. I had a poor night’s sleep and during a really vivid dream my alarm went off. My skin has been right off too. It’s so dry, I spent the day in discomfort with dry skin. This is despite ample moisturiser this morning after my shower. To top things off when I went to put my trousers on I couldn’t get the button in the buttonhole. Clearly I’ve been enjoying too much Cadbury’s Vegemite chocolate. It’s currently 2 blocks for $7 at Coles but I’m told it’s a lot cheaper at Woolworths.
So during the day I was thinking I have salmon in the refrigerator and I knew when I got home I’d want a quick and simple dinner. I’m also in a money saving mood at the moment. I’m saving money for an end of year event with my daughters. I need to spend less money on myself and save save save.
- Panko crumbs
- Grape seed oil
- Chili flakes
- Coles microwave quinoa rice
- I bought the salmon from the Coles delicatessen. In the plastic bag it came in I add some oil and the panko crumbs and rub it all over the fish
- Put the fish on a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Add some chili flakes and pepper
- Bake at 200 °C for 16 minutes
- When the salmon has been cooked turn off the heat and open the oven door and let the salmon rest for a few minutes
- While the salmon is resting microwave cook the quinoa rice
- Aliquot half the cooked quinoa rice into a bowl and put into the refrigerator
- Mix in some cut parsley and chives in the remaining quinoa rice
- Cut a lime into wedges
- Plate the salmon first and then the rice and then the lime wedges and add a dollop of mayonnaise
- Shoot a photograph
- Eat the meal
- Wash the dishes
- Write the recipe
- Blog (verb)
Tonight’s meal cost me <$10. A bargain.