How can I make ANZAC day slow cooker beef and potatoes something special? I added some tinned corned beef knowing that lots of people who survived WW2 had to eat a lot of tinned meat to supplement their meals when fresh meat wasn’t as plentiful.
For Australians and people from New Zealand, ANZAC day is very special. I didn’t get to a dawn service but I was awake at 4 am, turned on the radio and listened to the dawn service commemoration which was happening in Sydney. ANZAC day is a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand so all the shops are closed until at least the early afternoon. I didn’t have anything special planned so I went for a walk around Lake Ginninderra and then spent much of the day doing stuff around the apartment.
My Dad was a tween/teenager in Fiji during WW2. The Japanese Imperial Army were in the Pacific and Dad remembers what it was like living on a Pacific Island Country (PIC) during war time. He said a lasting memory is eating a lot of tinned meat, especially tinned corned beef and spam.
- Casserole chuck beef steak
- Tinned corned beef
- Dice everything
- Flour the beef
- Sautée the floured beef and then the onions and then the mushrooms and celery
- Put everything into the slow cooker and set for 6 hours
- At the end of cooking plate up and shoot a photograph
- Vacuum pack the leftovers
- Eat the meal
- Wash the dishes
- Write the recipe
- Blog (verb)
Here are some of the preparation photographs
This is a tiled gallery of the preparation photographs. If you click on one a slideshow gallery pops up and you can scroll through higher resolution versions.
This is my lunch from today
I hope you spent some time today thinking of those who fell for us, who went to war, who supported those in war and those who suffered in war.
Monday link love from the Canberra Food Bloggers’ Facebook group
- Bec | Easter Sunday at De Bortoli wines | http://www.inexplicablewanderlust.com/easter-de-bortoli-wines/
- Michele | Belluci’s Manuka Trying the lunch special | https://fineeating.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/bellucis-manuka-trying-the-lunch-special/
- Lisa | Roasted pumpkin, quinoa and feta salad | http://bakebikeblog.com/2016/04/roasted-pumpkin-feta-sala.html/
- Elissa | Simple soba noodle and fish dinner | http://fivebeansfood.com/2016/04/22/1969/
- Rebecca | Black bean brownies for Esther | https://insearchofgoldenpudding.com/2016/04/21/black-bean-brownies-for-esther/
- Serina | $5 Friday: Pesto and chickpea orecchiette | https://msfrugalears.com/2016/04/22/5-friday-pesto-and-chickpea-orecchiette/
My slow cooker is certainly getting a work out at the moment. Last night I had a really nice slow cooker pork congee.